What Is an Eyelash Extension? More Confidence, Beauty, and Free Time
Monday, August 8, 2022
Beauty is about accentuating your best features bigger and bolder, and right now eyelashes are huge. It’s largely the work of eyelash extension studios that are giving celebrity looks to everyone from the girl next door to a performer on the world’s biggest stage.
Sure, lashes have taken center stage before -- but those were self-gluing strips of false eyelashes that lost their stickiness and flew off your lids in the middle of a conversation. Or first date. Or Zoom™ call. You know the embarrassment. Everyone notices when those lashes are losing the battle of adhesion.
“Stiletto Sky High!” “Limitless Length and Volume!” “Volume Colossal” Thousands of cosmetic companies have introduced mascara with empty promises to pump up, lengthen, and lift your natural lashes to the sky. But at the end of the day, mascara is just no match for eyelash extensions. No product can give you the look of perfection and the feeling of carefree beauty the way that lashes from an Amazing Lash Studio® location can.
What Kinds of Lash Extensions Are There?
Like the uniqueness in every person’s body type, skin color, and facial structure, lash extensions are not one-size-fits-all beauty assets. They come in various materials, lengths, styles, curl patterns, and tints.
Amazing Lash Studio offers four styles of Lash extensions.
- Natural: Follows the natural eye shape with a subtle and gradual flare at the outer corner with shorter lashes in the inner corner. Best suited for almond, protruding, mono-lid, close-set eyes.
- Cute: Uses longer extensions at the center of the lash line to make eyes appear larger and more open. Best suited for almond, deep-set, mono-lid, down-turned, wide-set, and hooded eyes.
- Sexy: Features extensions that are longer on the outside edge with a sleek cat-eyed appearance. Best suited for almond, protruding, mono-lid, close-set eyes.
- Gorgeous: Features longer eyelash extensions in the center of the eye and subtly goes down in length at both corners to help open up the eyes. Best suited for almond, deep-set, mono-lid, down-turned, wide-set, or hooded eyes.
Don’t know which look you want? Don’t sweat it. Stylists at Amazing Lash Studio locations meet and consult with you to help find the style and lash look that best suits you! Your Stylist will offer styles based on your eye and face shape, your desired look, and even your lifestyle. You’ll start with one of the four amazing styles, and customize by length, curl type, and number of extensions per lash to achieve the perfect effect that will leave you standing out in a crowd. You can be beautifully natural -- or you can turn heads. It’s up to you.
What Are Extensions Made Of?
Depending on the establishment, you can get eyelash extensions made of various materials that are:
- Synthetic: For those with vegan priorities, synthetic lashes make the grade.
- Mink: There are manufacturers with mink lashes, which were previously expensive and typically worn only by celebrities. Avoid these if you’re allergic to cats.
- Faux mink: Like other synthetics, they’re cruelty-free and these have the softness of mink.
- Silk: Lighter in weight than other fibers, they’re good for people whose natural lashes are fine.
Extensions at Amazing Lash Studio locations are vegan, made with synthetic fibers that are individually attached to each of your natural lashes.
What Is an Eyelash Extension Appointment Like?
Once you arrive to your appointment at an Amazing Lash Studio location, you will be greeted with a smile, asked to fill out some paperwork, and then introduced to your Lash Stylist. Then you will be escorted to a private room and guided in choosing the perfect lashes for you. Now get ready to sit back, close those eyes, and relax!
You’ll lay on a comfortable, cushioned massage table, draped under a cozy velour blanket, and your Lash Stylist will apply the lash extensions to your natural lashes one by one.
Here’s a video to show you how to prepare for your first appointment.
A Lash Stylist meticulously applies a semi-permanent adhesive to tiny fibers that adhere to each of your individual lashes. Although Lash Stylists can vary from location to location -- or even station to station -- you can count on the following things taking place.
Determine length and curl: The Lash Stylist discusses the look you want and decides with you which combination of lengths will create the desired effect.
Clean and comfortable: As a guest, you relax in a prone position while the Lash Stylistutilizes makeup removers or other means to remove oil or germs from your lash line.
Preparatory products: Using medical tape to hold eyelids in place and gels on your lower lashes, your Lash Stylist creates a clear view to apply the extensions.
Lash application: Picking up one lash at a time, the Lash Stylist dips each fiber extension in adhesive and applies it to your natural lashes. For thicker styles they adhere more than one lash to each of your natural eyelashes.
Dry time: Sometimes the lashes need a few additional minutes to dry so the stylist may engage the use of a fan.
Tape and gel removal: When lashes are dry and the treatment is complete, your Lash Stylist removes tape and puts under-eye gels away. The stylist typically uses a spoolie brush on the newly created eyelash combination.
What Are the Safety Precautions?
Getting eyelash extensions is a cosmetic practice in which your eyes come into contact with synthetic products such as glue. For that reason, you may have redness in your eyes for 24 to 48 hours following application. It’s a safe procedure and there’s minimal concern about allergies when administered in a professional, sanitary setting, according to the American Academy of Ophthalmology.
Get your extensions from an experienced Lash Stylist and be sure to keep your eyes closed for the duration of the process. When the studio’s protocol includes hygienic practices, it minimizes the guest exposure to harmful germs and other irritants that may cause discomfort.
Possible infections can occur, however, if the consumer has an allergic reaction to the glues utilized by the salon. If you suffer from pain, swelling, or itching, contact a medical professional immediately. Some people begin to lose eyelashes after an extension application procedure, though it’s normal for you to lose one to five natural eyelashes per day. A new set of extensions should last several weeks. Contact your technician if lashes begin falling out too quickly.
The Amazing Lash Studio brand prides itself in creating a safe, healthy and welcoming environment for everyone who walks through the doors. The Amazing Lash Studio brand requires masks to be worn by all studio employees while they are performing a service
How Are Lash Extensions Maintained?
After choosing to move forward with your eyelash extensions, you should know there are some aftercare suggestions to maximize lash retention and Lash life. Extensions are semi-permanent and there are keys to making your new set last the 3-6 weeks they’re designed for; here are some tips.
- Keep them dry for the first 24 hours, which means no sweat, sauna, or shower.
- Brush them at least twice a day, ideally with your Retractable Styling Wand or a hand-held spoolie brush.
- Avoid oil-based products including makeup and skincare products, because they break down lash glue, which means you’ll lose lashes faster.
- Be sure to wash your lashes in the morning and evening with the Eyelash Foaming Cleanser.
- Do not rub your eyes and certainly avoid touching your lashes directly; exercise caution while washing your face and eye area, and we recommend sleeping on your side or back, not face down.
What Are the Benefits of Lash Extensions?
Between the ease of the process and your ability to have showstopping eyes, there’s a reason for the groundswell of interest in the intensifying look of eyelash extensions. The strong points of choosing extensions over other beauty practices include:
- Fast results
- No need for makeup
- Custom styles available
- Lasting effect
- Easy to maintain
As eyelash extensions become a bigger part of the beauty market (literally!) it’s easier than ever to ride the wave of their popularity. With easy access to Amazing Lash Studio’s 200-plus locations and the ability to make a personal statement with customization, the stage is set so that every member of the general public can be the star of their own reality show.
Category: EyeLash Extensions Guide
Tags: lash line, false eyelashes, lash glue, lash stylist, individual lashes, natural eyelashes, lash artist, eye area, makeup removers, 48 hours, washing your face, lash technician, rub your eyes, oil based products, spoolie brush, extensions are semi permanent, damange your natural lashes, classic lashes